Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Life Aquatic

I'd like to start out by apologizing for my terrible pictures.  My previous phone threw in the towel so I got a cheap Droid to replace it, and it apparently takes awful pictures.  I ordered a waterproof case for my Canon that will be in this week.
 
I arrived in Reston, VA a little over two weeks ago.  This isn't my first on the road contract, but it's definitely the slowest moving.  It's more of a 9-5 type job and I am left with a whole lot of free time.

Niko and I have done a ton of riding, I've gotten back into playing (gambling) the stock market, but the weekends were getting boring.  Back in KC I had tried to find a long sit on top kayak with a fairly deep keel and ample storage space but I never had much luck finding what I wanted used... and I felt like buying new at $1200 was too much to spend on 60 pounds of plastic.  Turns out that out here kayaking is much more popular and I found several examples that would suit my needs.

I picked this up in Easton, Maryland for $400:


It's a 15 foot long Ocean Prowler in great shape.  I bought a paddle and a few accessories at REI and off we go!

Niko enjoyed boating, but did not much enjoy swimming.  After I tossed him in for about the 4th time he got his confidence and decided it wasn't too bad, even jumping in once on his own.  I didn't get any pictures of him in the water because I needed to be able to pull him in the boat if he got in over his head (pun intended).



No comments:

Post a Comment